The Jotnar Shrines depict Giant mythology in God of War, and finding every shrine’s location will reward players with XP and the More Than Myth labor.
There are 11 Jotnar Shrine locations that are scattered throughout God of War, each telling a tale of the Jotunn history left behind by the Giants before the game begins. Jotnar Shrines are cabinets with images of various Giants and their encounters with the Nordic gods. Though there are only 11 of them, some of the Jotnar Shrines can be difficult to find without exploring the landscape in God of War.
In God of War, once Kratos and Atreus find a Jotnar Shrine, Atreus will be able to decipher some of the history associated with the artwork. In addition to learning more about the history of the Giants, finding all 11 Jotnar Shrines will also complete Kratos’ More Than Myth labor. Like many of the other labor in God of War, players will receive XP for each of the Jotnar Shrines discovered.
Finding each of the Jotnar Shrines rewards players with 100 XP per shrine, and a total of 6,000 XP once all eleven are found. Though Jotnar Shrines do not affect the completion percentage of each area, players can track their progress through God of War by using the Codex section of the main menu and viewing the Jotnar Shrine subsection. Jotnar Shrines are not account locked, however, so players who start a new story with Kratos and Atreus in God of War will be able to find the shrines once more for the additional XP bonus.
Every Jotnar Shrine Location In God Of War
- Skoll and Hati: This is the first Jotnar Shrine that players can find in God of War, and it is located in the Wildwoods during the Marked Trees chapter. Use the Leviathan Axe to freeze the gate cogs and exit the temple. Then, circle back to the left side, climb the chain, and continue following the path that leads to the stairway. The Jotnar Shrine is behind the breakable wooden wall.
- Hrungnir: During the Path to the Mountain chapter, Kratos and Atreus will fall through the broken bridge to the ravine. Continue following the new path, but instead of going right toward the Idunn Apple chest head left to find this Jotnar Shrine.
- Jormungandr: After reaching the Lake of Nine, continue through the chapter and go beyond Brok’s main shop in God of War. In the poison gas area of the mission, break the wooden wall on the left to find the Jotnar Shrine.
- Groa: After restoring Alfheim’s light and before crossing the bridge once more, head down the side path on the right to find this Jotnar Shrine.
- Skadi: On the way to free Otr, find this Jotnar Shrine upon entering the temple after using the Leviathan Axe to solve the runic puzzle.
- Ymir: During the Inside the Mountain chapter, continue through the mission until reaching the ice chamber with a slanted bridge. Before entering, look for the door covered with red vines. Grab a sap ball from the next room and throw it at the vines, and use Atreus to shoot the ball with a shock arrow to clear the doorway. The Jotnar Shrine is on the other side.
- Thrym: After Mimir, the talking head in God of War, speaks with Jormungandr, climb the Lookout Tower then head down the zipline to an area full of revenants. Once they’re defeated, the Jotnar Shrine is just before the Thor statue in God of War.
- Bergelmir: During the A Path to Jotunheim chapter in Tyr’s Temple, turn around once Kratos and Atreus reach the lowest level of the elevator to find the Jotnar Shrine.
- Thamur: After arriving on the north side of the Lake of Nine at Thamur’s corpse, look for a Hidden Chamber near the dock. Using the Magic Chisel, open the chamber to find the Jotnar Shrine.
- Starkadr: Upon first entering the Dwarven King’s temple on the northwest side of the Lake of Nine, head through the first chamber on the right side to find the Jotnar Shrine. This takes place during the Hail to the King chapter, long after Kratos can use both the Blades of Chaos and Leviathan Axe in God of War.
- Surtr: After collecting four Muspelheim Ciphers, head to Muspelheim and then to Brok’s shop. Near Brok is the final Jotnar Shrine.
God of War is available on PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5, and will be available for PC on January 14, 2022.
Maguire & Garfield Were Only On No Way Home’s Set For Two Weeks
About The Author