Sports News

Australian Open: Nick Kyrgios wary of facing ‘determined’ Novak Djokovic if Serbian’s visa appeal is successful | Tennis News

8views


Kyrgios believes reigning Australian Open champion Djokovic will still be a tough opponent even with heavily-affected preparation if he is eventually allowed to play in this year’s tournament. “I think this is just all added fuel for him, in my opinion,” Kyrgios said

Last Updated: 08/01/22 11:46am


Nick Kyrgios expects Novak Djokovic will still be a tough opponent if he is cleared to play in the Australian Open

Nick Kyrgios is keen to avoid being drawn to face a fired-up Novak Djokovic if the reigning Australian Open champion manages to convince authorities to allow him to play at this year’s tournament.

The Serbian, a nine-time Australian Open winner, is currently isolating in Melbourne awaiting the outcome of his appeal against the decision by the Australian Border Force to cancel his entry visa and deport him.

Nevertheless, Kyrgios said he expects the upheaval will have little bearing on Djokovic’s preparedness for the first major event of the season if the 34-year-old’s appeal is successful when it is heard on Monday.

“If he’s allowed to play the Australian Open, I don’t want any bar of him,” Kyrgios told reporters at Sydney’s Olympic Park on Saturday, ahead of next week’s Sydney Tennis Classic.

“He’s going to be very determined to play well and stick it to everyone of what’s going on – and I don’t want any bar of that Novak.

“I think he’ll have no problem preparing. I think this is just all added fuel for him, in my opinion.

“We all know how good of a competitor he is. You don’t become a great champion like that without being able to overcome some adversity like this.”

Novak Djokovic's core appeal documents have revealed to the public that he has asked for a medical exemption based upon a recent positive Covid-19 test and a valid visa

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Novak Djokovic’s core appeal documents have revealed to the public that he has asked for a medical exemption based upon a recent positive Covid-19 test and a valid visa

Novak Djokovic’s core appeal documents have revealed to the public that he has asked for a medical exemption based upon a recent positive Covid-19 test and a valid visa

Kyrgios has emerged as an unlikely ally for Djokovic, with the pair sharing an uneasy relationship since clashing ahead of last year’s Australian Open over quarantining conditions.

The 26-year-old Australian expressed his belief the process could have been handled better and sympathised with the situation Djokovic is in.

“It’s a bit of a mess with what’s going on, and I just don’t think we have gone about it the right way,” Kyrgios said.

“I hope it all gets sorted as soon as possible. For the sport we need him here, it’s that simple. He’s one of the most influential sports people, probably of all time.

“If he’s ready to play and he’s allowed to play, I think it’s in a way good for our sport with all this attention because probably the Australian Open won’t have as many views as it’s ever probably had if he’s able to play.

“I’m feeling for him now. Like it’s not really humane, is it, what’s going on? His life’s probably hard enough as it is, and I know what that’s like. I just hope it all gets sorted soon.”

Djokovic’s Aussie Open debacle: What’s happened?

Djokovic flew to Australia with a ‘vaccine exemption’ and arrived in Melbourne on Wednesday, but was ultimately denied entry into the country after nine hours at the airport.

The Serb’s visa was one that did not allow for medical exemptions and was cancelled, after which he was moved to hotel quarantine as his team launched an appeal – this appeal has been adjourned until Monday.





Source link

Leave a Response