How ’bout them playoffs?
The Cowboys are back in the playoffs after two seasons out of the dance, and in a top-heavy NFC, their seeding situation is not yet set. The key to Dallas’ weekend is what happens in the 49ers and Rams matchup (Sunday, 4:25 p.m. ET).
Most likely, the Cowboys are going to be locked into the No. 4 seed once the dust settles, but there are still options for the Cowboys to move up from there if things break their way. First and foremost, they need to down the Eagles on Saturday night.
Here’s how the Cowboys can still grab the No. 2 seed, and other playoff scenarios:
How the Cowboys can clinch the No. 2 seed in NFC
Outside of the No. 1 seed, the Cowboys can still end up with the second-best seed in the conference. They’ll need some help:
The Cowboys can clinch the No. 2 seed with:
- A win over Eagles AND losses by the Rams (vs. 49ers), Cardinals (vs. Seahawks) and Buccaneers (vs. Panthers).
The key to the weekend is the Rams losing to the 49ers, something that may happen: The 49ers haven’t lost to the Rams since 2018. The rest, though, may be slightly unlikely.
How the Cowboys can clinch the No. 3 seed in the NFC
There’s still an opportunity for the Cowboys to move up from the No. 4 seed to the No. 3 seed, as well. Here’s how:
- A win over the Eagles AND wins by the Buccaneers (vs. Panthers), 49ers (vs. Rams) and Seahawks (vs. Cardinals).
That would put the 49ers in the No. 6 seed and they would face the Cowboys in Round 1.
Potential Cowboys playoff matchups
Most likely, the Cowboys are going to be locked into the No. 4 seed.
Even if the Cowboys win, if the Rams dispatch the 49ers, then the Rams will own the second seed and the Cowboys will be locked into No. 4, regardless of other game outcomes.
Depending on how the seeding works out, here’s who the Cowboys may play in the wild-card round, if they beat the Eagles on Saturday night:
- If the Rams beat the 49ers, the Cowboys are locked into the No. 4 seed and will play the Cardinals in Dallas.
- If the 49ers, Cardinals and Buccaneers win, the Cowboys are the No. 4 seed and will face the Rams in the wild-card round.
- If the 49ers, Seahawks and Buccaneers win, the Cowboys aree the No. 3 seed and will face the 49ers in the wild-card round.
- If the 49ers, Seahawks and Panthers win, the Cowboys are the No. 2 seed and will face the Eagles in the wild-card round.
Most likely, it sounds like the Cardinals and Cowboys will likely face off in a playoff rematch following their Week 17 matchup.